This one’s quick and easy. My new recipe for pesto is lemony, fresh and sweet, made with cashews (instead of expensive pine nuts).
Use it as a spread or toss it onto pasta. It’s also nice to put into mason jars and give as a hostess gift!
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup FRESH lemon juice (use less if from bottle)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese
- 1/2 cup of cashews (I used unsalted roasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil (use a high-quality oil
This couldn’t be easier!
Throw all the ingredients in the food processor except for the olive oil. Blend until smooth and pour the olive oil in slowly toward the end while the machine is on.
I tossed the pesto onto some whole wheat rotini and topped with chopped cherry tomatoes. DELICIOUS!
This recipe is courtesy of our friend Erin Spencer of the Toronto-based Dirty Girl Urban Gardening Webseries. Subscribe and watch episodes on the Dirty Girl YouTube channel, and follow Erin on Twitter @DirtyGirlWeb.